Peninsula with the mainland, and extraordinary natural resources, fertile fields with an aboundance of water and salt, the Ston area was settled as early as the prehistoric times. The town area of the mediaval Ston expanded over the southern slopes of St. Michael. A settlement on the top has existed since the prehistory. The St. Michael Church, located in the immediate vicinity of the present-day town, is one of the most valuable monuments from the Early Middle Ages. In Roman times Ston was named Turris Stagi. In 1333 it became part of the Dubrovnik Republic.From that time, all unitell the fall of the Dubrovnik Republic in 1808, Ston was its integral part and the second largest town after Dubrovnik. The tame and picturesque Mediterranean landscape makes this small town and its environment even more beautiful. Tourists are especially attracted by gastronomic specialities of the region, primarily oysters, mussels and other seafood that makes the Malostonski Bay famous. In other words, Ston should be visited and enjoyed in every sense.
Diverging walls encompass Mali Ston on the north with the tower of Koruna, consisting of four smaller towers resembling a crown, from which it gets its name.The spacious courtyard contains a large cistern and the captain's house.In the lower fenced part of the settlement, the bishop's summer house was later built, along with the parish church of St Joseph. This parish church contains the painted wooden statue of St Anthony the Hermit, a Venetian work of the late 16th century, and a painting of the Crucifix with Saints. A large bell from the 14th century can be found in the loggia in the bell-tower. The transverse rows of houses continue from here forming narrow streets according to typical town-plans of the Gothic period.Most of the simple dwellings follow a similar pattern, together with the town gate which contains a relief of St Blaise. The town is exited through this gate to the open square of the port which is defended by a wall that ends at the cylindrical tower of Toljevac and a breakwater dating to 1491.Oyster cultivation has existed for several centuries and Mali Ston has been awarded many prizes and medals at various world exhibitions for these succulent delicacies. Mali Ston has become famous for "the" place to eat oysters.
Žuljana is an oasis of peace and beauty,situated in the central-southern part of the peninsula of Pelješac,in a beautiful sandy bay turned towards west.This place was mentioned in written documents from the 12th century for the first time,and its name is of Roman origin,after the church of St.Julian.Besides this church,there are also churches of St.Nicolas,Our Lady of Sorrows,and Saint Martin,the protector of the place celebrated on the 11th November,when a traditional wine-tasting ceremony is organized on zhe beach,which makes Žuljana especially famous in this part of the region.The place has approximately 200 inhabitants,mostly occupied with winegrowing industry,olive production,fishing and tourism.Tourists discovered it in 1924 and since then their number has been constantly increasing.Žuljana is one of most famous places in the southern part of the Adriatic Coast because of its numerous sandy and pebble beaches,specially convenient for children because they are shallow and clean.Sunsets in Žuljana are wonderful and each of them is a special experiance.The place disposes of post office,exchange office,shop,3 restaurants,nightcafe,4 minor autocamps and a lot of private rooms and appartments.Possibility of excursions to the neighbouring island of Mljet,walks and bicycle-rides along numerous mountain paths,diving at attractive locations organized by local diving centres(2 of them),will make your stay here more active and pleasant.
The small,tame village of Hodilje is located two kilometres north of Ston,opposites of the Island of Life(Otok života).Hodilje is an anchorage in the Channel of Mali Ston.Chief occupation of the villagers include seashell farming,mostly oysters and mussels.Accommodation capacities thirty-odd private houses and a small campsite.Clean and warm seawater and sandy beaches favour the development of family tourism.
Several islands (Tajan,Kokošari,Lovorikovac and Pučenjak) and shores offer nice opportunities for bathing and sports fishing.The village has a campsite with 400 places and 200 bedsare available in private houses.
The cove of Kobas, with a sandy beach and its own marina, is becoming more and more popular among yachting enthusiasts. Accommodation is offered in private houses and suites, and the visitors are served food and drinks in a beach restaurant.
High hills and rugged country separate the above described area from the cove, Ponikve. Ponikve is sparsely settled with few hamlets and is situated on a northern hill slope above a large plain that is barely arable. Scattered gravemounds are proof of an Iliryan presence here. Animal husbandry was replaced by viticulture in the Middle Ages. These locations are first mentioned in the 12th century by Prince Miroslav in a deed to the Orthodox monastery at distant Lim. The expression "Metohija" was the customary name for a landowning area of this kind. Located in the cemetery is the small church of Sts Philip and Jacob with altar ceiling supports constructed in early Romanesque style. It is in harmony with the nearby small church of St George along the main road in Ledinić. This compact, well built church has a small bell tower with no light openings at the top of its facade - a mystical example of an exceptional medieval building.
Only three kilometres west of Ston there is a modern campsite of Prapratno.It is situated in a nice cove of the same name,with the most beautiful beach of Pelješac,in the area covered with pine woods and years old olive groves,modern toilette and bath facilities and sports grounds.In offers an idyllic view on the island of Mljet.There are few places with such crystal clear and warm seawater.The waves brought by the landward summer breeze(„maestral“)from the Mljet Channel make this magnificent cove a unique place on the Adriatic.Next to the campsite there is a tourist village with 50 beds.
PUTNIKOVIĆI a village in the interior part of the Peljesac Peninsula, 17 km northwest of Ston; elevation 156 m. Chief occupations are farming and livestock breeding. Putnikovic is located on the regional road running along the peninsula.Accomodation can be found in private rooms,apartments and camping places in beatiful bays of Kabli,Blaževo,Žuronja,Pještata and Luka Dubrava.
Based on the number and quality of buildings and artistic works, it appears that the small area of Ston was more expressive then other areas of Peljesac. Near Broce and Kobaš to the southeast, is the most potruding promontory on Pelješac, enclosing the long, narrow Ston Bay.Here Illyrian established their reconnaissance and guard stations facing the open sea, and central Gradina facing the fertile Vinopolje.The Romans then erected guard stations here, next to the saltpans, where stone and earth bulwarks with pole fences extended as part of their defence system.The original stone wall project was not completed, according to 1478 plans - so this lake-like ambience naw includes low one-storey stone houses, along with the small churches of St Felician and All Saints located near the cemetery.Of greater value is the complex of the Dominican monastery with the Church of Annunciation built in 1629 and long since deserted.Worth mentioning are the summerhouses of writer Betondić and gunsmith Ivan Rabljanin located at Jelinjak near Kobaš. Both are examples of late Renaissance Dubrovnik architecture.
Luka is a small foshing village in the Malostonski Channel, situated in the cove of the same name on the south –estern side of the Kulin peninsual. The cove has many shores and offers a nice view on the Island of Life and Malostonski Bay. Luka is an old village,know for shipbulding, a craft than has been preserved until the present.